Taking a step Bach to see what's Haydn in plain sight:
lessons on problem-solving, inclusivity, and empowerment from classical music
What this is about
I was given (essentially) a blank slate to present at Web Design Day, and got to delve into a passion of mine: lessons I've learned from classical music that I've applied to my design career.
(I had a lot of fun with this, if the title's any indication.)
Some topics I covered:
- taking a new topic and making it your own
- deriving lessons from teamwork and collaboration (symphonies vs. chamber groups vs. quartets)
- breaking down a difficult task (learning a complex musical excerpt)
- examining comparable steps/deliverables in other fields to draw parallels and inspiration in your own
- barriers to entry for unfamiliar groups, and diversity and inclusion
This was a multimedia-heavy presentation — plenty of audio and video embedded — and I may create an HTML version in the future to display the presentation in full.
- UXPA 2017 – 2017 June 6 – Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Web Design Day – 2016 June 24 – Pittsburgh, PA